Sen. Schumer Withdraws Offer To Fund Trump’s Wall In Exchange For DACA Solution

When lawmakers could not reach an agreement on immigration last week, the government shutdown for three days before reopening late Monday. But instead of agreeing, those in the Senate seem to be pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

When the Trump administration ended the DACA program late last year, Trump gave Congress six months to find a suitable solution. The Republicans argued that Democrats were putting Dreamers before government workers. While the Democrats argued that Trump would not accept a bipartisan deal and that is what ultimately led to the shutdown.

At this point, the current resolution on DACA expires in March and lawmakers show no signs of agreeing. In fact, it looks like negotiations talks are being affected by the fallout of the shutdown.

On Tuesday, it was reported that Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) withdrew an offer he made on Friday night that would allocate funding towards Trump’s border wall.  The offer was reportedly to allot $1.6 billion in funding for the wall.

But Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). told reporters that the Senate Minority Leader had taken it off the table.  “He called the White House yesterday and said it’s over,” the Democratic lawmaker said. 

News of Schumer’s deal caused a massive backlash from progressive groups and Democrats. Many argued that Schumer was the worst negotiator in Washington. Even House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) blasted the deal, arguing there is no way it would pass in the House. “I don’t see that there’s any reason — I’m speaking personally and hearing from my members — to support what was put forth,” Pelosi asserted.

Trump is clearly not budging on the wall but Schumer seems to be playing hardball as well. Either way, the lawmakers need to come to sort of agreement on government spending in order to keep the government up and running.