President Trump and his White House press team spent much of this week trying to discredit author Michael Wolff, and former chief advisor Steve Bannon, for a new book that accuses the President of treason, among other bad habits. Trump could simply not let his press team do the work, however, and took to Twitter to continue his attack on both men.
“I authorized Zero access to White House (actually turned him down many times) for author of phony book! I never spoke to him for book,” Trump tweeted on Thursday. “Full of lies, misrepresentations and sources that don’t exist. Look at this guy’s past and watch what happens to him and Sloppy Steve!”
Wolff claimed that he was given full access to the White House for over 18 months, and conducted more than 200 interviews – including with President Trump himself. One of those interviews allegedly included Bannon accusing Trump’s son (Donald Trump Jr.) and son-in-law (Jared Kushner) of treason for meeting with Russian operatives during an already controversial 2016 campaign.
Trump added, on Friday, a post saying, “Mercer Family recently dumped the leaker known as Sloppy Steve Bannon. Smart!” This is apparently a reference to the conservative media defending the President, rather than his former ideological chief, in this growing feud.
He also said on Friday, “Well, now that collusion with Russia is proving to be a total hoax and the only collusion is with Hillary Clinton and the FBI/Russia, the Fake News Media (Mainstream) and this phony new book are hitting out at every new front imaginable. They should try winning an election. Sad!”
Trump already accused Bannon of mental illness, and jealously seeking revenge, earlier in the week. Meanwhile, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders tried to discredit Wolff and his project at large, calling it “complete fantasy and just full of tabloid gossip.” She also pointed to minor errors in the book as evidence that Wolff did sloppy reporting, such as the basic fact that staffer Hope Hicks is 29, even though he said she is 26.