McCain Says He Made Need A Subpoena To Get More Info On Niger Ambush

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is not messing around when it comes to President Trump silence on the deadly ambush in Niger earlier this month. In fact, McCain is prepared to do whatever it takes to get to the truth. On Thursday, the Arizona lawmaker said that his efforts may “require a subpoena” in order to get more information about the attack that left four U.S. soldiers dead, The Hill reports.

 

Sources also report that U.S. Africa Command has launched a formal investigation into the Oct. 4 incident in Niger that left four Army Green Berets dead and two injured.  But McCain is growing impatient and does not think it is necessary to wait for the Defense Department to finish its investigation, saying: “That’s not how the system works. We’re coequal branches of government. We should be informed at all times.”

 

The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee also responded to reporters’ questions about whether or not the Trump administration was being forthcoming about the attack in Niger by saying that he did not think Trump was being transparent about the incident. McCain explained:  “I had a better working relationship, as far as information back and forth, with Ash Carter than I do with an old friend of 20 years.”

 

The President did not even publicly acknowledge the Niger attack until earlier this week when he falsely stated that former President Obama rarely called the families of soldiers who were killed in the line of duty. Trump explained his delay saying that he would call the families of the fallen soldiers “at some point.” Trump was clearly more focused on tweeting nonsense at the NFL and blasting NBC for reporting news that he doesn’t like. However, many families of fallen soldiers have spoken out since then. But what is Trump trying to hide about the Niger attack other than the fact that he tried to ignore it?